Thursday, May 10, 2018

mofucco

2 oz Bacardi Rum (DonQ Añejo)
1 peel of a Lemon (Full peel of a small Lemon)
1 tsp Sugar (1 Demerara Sugar Cube dissolved in 1/2 oz Water)
1 dash Angostura Bitters
1 Whole Egg

I muddled the sugar cube with the lemon peel in water and stirred to dissolve. Add the rest of the ingredients and shake once, add ice, and shake again. Strain into a cocktail glass.

My desire for a nightcap two Thursdays ago led me to Trader Vic's 1946 Book of Food & Drink. There, I was lured in by the Mofucco that was "a pleasant variation of a Bacardi Flip from La Florida Bar in Havana," and I was curious to see how the lemon peel in the shake colored the drink. As for the name, perhaps it was a misspelling of a Cuban necessity that sprung up around the time of the book's publishing; my search discovered that "a combination of ethanol and gasoline called mofuco was employed during World War II [in Cuba]" that does not seem to different from today's gasohol.
While I stuck with a Spanish-style rum, my mind drifted to El Dorado 151 and a few others in the collection that would remind me more of a mix of gasoline and ethanol. Instead, I opted for an aged Puerto Rican rum from DonQ for this drink. In the glas, the Mofucco proffered rum, lemon, allspice, and clove notes to the nose. Next, a creamy caramel sip shared a brightness from the lemon peel, and the swallow was all about the rum that was colored by the bitters' dark clove spice.

No comments: