Saturday, April 8, 2017

shanghai

2/3 Jamaican Rum (1 1/2 oz Smith & Cross)
1/3 Orange Juice (3/4 oz)
2 dash Sweet Vermouth (1/2 oz Alessio)
1 dash Green Chartreuse (1/4 oz)

Shake with ice and strain into a cocktail glass; I added an orange twist to the recipe.
After my bar shift two Saturdays ago, I reached for my copy of Pioneers of Mixing at Elite Bars: 1903-1933 to find a curiosity within. There, I came across the Shanghai that reminded me of the Kingston Heights with sweet vermouth and Green Chartreuse in place of that drink's kümmel and allspice dram. Once mixed, the Shanghai greeted the nose with a bright orange oil aroma countering darker notes from the Jamaican rum's funk. Next, orange mingled with caramel and grape notes from the rum and vermouth on the sip, and the swallow showcased the funky rum melding into the Chartreuse herbal notes. Overall, the rum's intrigue carried the drink for it ending up having a lot less structure than a Daiquiri or even a Rum Bijou due to the orange juice.

No comments: