Thursday, September 22, 2016

irish cocktail

1 wine glass Irish Whiskey (2 oz Teeling's Small Batch)
1 dash Maraschino Liqueur (1/4 oz Maraska)
1 dash Curaçao (1/4 oz Pierre Ferrand Dry)
2-3 dash Absinthe (1 scant bsp Butterfly)
2 dash Boker's Bitters (Bitter Truth's Jerry Thomas Decanter)

Stir with ice and strain into a cocktail glass. Garnish with an olive (omit) and lemon oil (lemon twist).

Two Thursdays ago, I finished making my way through Harry Johnson's 1882 Bartender's Manual (a 1934 reprint) mostly to read his century-plus truisms and advice about running a bar. In the recipe section which I had studied in the past, I had found a few drinks that I had missed in the past including the Irish Cocktail. Overall, the Irish Cocktail reminded me of a Fancy crossed with an Improved Irish Whiskey Old Fashioned.
The Irish Cocktail gave forth lemon, absinthe, and soft whiskey notes to the nose. Next, the malt continued on into the sip where it mingled with the Maraschino's cherry, and the swallow offered Irish whiskey and hints of orange and nutty cherry flavors with an absinthe and spice finish.

1 comment:

Dagreb said...

That glass though!