Wednesday, April 25, 2012

pacific daylight

3/4 oz Don Q White Rum
3/4 oz Chinaco Blanco Tequila
3/4 oz Lime Juice
3/4 oz Strawberry Preserves Syrup (*)

Shake with ice and strain into a cocktail glass.
(*) 10 oz jar of strawberry preserves mixed with 1 liter of Bols Triple Sec (or 1 oz preserves to 3.3 oz triple sec). I am unsure if it was heated to get the preserves into solution better or whether it was just mixed or shaken, but the syrup did seem strained. A decent short cut would be to add 1 heaping barspoon of preserves and a little over 1/2 oz triple sec per drink directly to the mixing glass.

The other drink I asked bartender Hugh Fiore for at Eastern Standard was the Pacific Daylight. I was correct in my guess that it was created by bartender Carrie Cole; however, I was wrong in my initial reason why. The drink's name reminded me of the Saving Daylight served at Bartenders on the Rise two years ago. While Carrie did participate in that event, her drink was the mezcal Loose Translation, and not the Saving Daylight that Bobby McCoy actually crafted. Perhaps, I was correctly swayed by Carrie's history of using jams and jellies in drinks such as the marmalade-containing Jubilee Line.
The Pacific Daylight offered up a tequila and fruity bouquet that led into a berry and lime sip. Next, the swallow contained spirit notes from the tequila and rum, fruit notes from the strawberry syrup and orange liqueur, and a mineral finish from the tequila.

No comments: