Tuesday, February 7, 2012

sentimental gentleman

2 oz Douglas XO Blended Scotch
1/2 oz Benedictine
1/2 oz Nux Alpina Walnut Liqueur

Stir with ice and strain into a rocks glass.
Two Sundays ago, Andrea and I ate dinner at Veggie Galaxy and headed over to Brick and Mortar where bartenders Kenny Belanger and Misty Kalkofen were making drinks. For my first cocktail, I asked Kenny for the Sentimental Gentleman which offered up a peaty smoke aroma from the Scotch that later gained walnut notes as it warmed up. The malt from the Scotch filled the sip, and the swallow was an interplay of the herbal Benedictine and the walnut. Rather poetically, the Sentimental Gentleman got a bit more bitter and sharp over time as it acclimated to room temperature.

2 comments:

Dagreb said...

I like to think that I am a sentimental gentleman...

Paul said...

Really good cocktail. I used Dewar's 12 YO, but was really satisfied with the results. The whisky was prominent, but the benedictine and nocino put an interesting herbal aura around the drink and the nocino gave it a wonderful finish. Smack on !