Wednesday, January 4, 2012

george washington's eggnog

4 oz Cream
4 oz Milk
3/4 oz Sugar
2 oz Brandy (Pedro Domecq Fundador Solera Reserva)
1 oz Rye (Rittenhouse)
1 oz Jamaican Rum (Smith & Cross)
1/2 oz Sherry (Lustau East India Solera Sherry)
2 Eggs

Separate the yolks from whites. Add sugar to beaten yolks and mix well. Add dairy then liquor while beating slowly. Beat the egg whites until stiff and slowly fold into the mixture. Let chill for several days (16 hours). I garnished with freshly grated nutmeg. This serves two and is an eight-fold scale down from the original recipe. The recipe was specific for everything but the number of eggs; I went with one egg per serving.

Last year at Island Creek Oyster Bar, I ordered an Eggnog that was quite delicious. When I asked head bartender Bobby McCoy which recipe he used, he cited that it was based off of George Washington's; however, he was a little light on the specific details. This year, I decided to make my own batch. Since this was George Washington's favorite drinks for celebrating Christmas at Mount Vernon, I mixed a batch for Christmas morning to have with cherry scones. I cannot tell a lie -- this Nog recipe was worth the effort.
The nutmeg garnish I added to the recipe contributed greatly to the aroma. The creamy richness of the sip showcased light grape, caramel, and vanilla notes. On the swallow, the sherry, rye, and Smith & Cross Rum stood out; the brandy was not as discernible but probably donated a smoothness to the finish. Andrea rather enjoyed the Eggnog for it was not super heavy perhaps from the lightness of the beaten egg white.

5 comments:

Paul said...

Made a batch of this on the 23rd and tried it about 24 hours after it had soaked in the fridge. Very popular and very tasty. I've never tried egg nogg before that I can recall, but I was pleasantly surprised at how good it was. Like a desert and you probably shouldn't have too many of these. I'll wait till next Christmas season, but I will definitely be sticking to this recipe.

frederic said...

Did you use heavy cream or just "coffee" cream (like half and half)? I have access to heavy cream at work, and it makes all the difference in Nogs and New Orleans-style Fizzes for body (it is whip-able like egg whites, whereas lighter creams don't do anything more than milk for texture besides added fat).

Paul said...

No, I used heavy cream ( 36% fat ). It was truly delicious !

Paul said...

Dear Frederic,
made a new batch of the egg nog yesterday ( 22nd ) and it is sitting out in the shed where it's cool ( about 34F ). Do you think it will be okay by Tuesday ( 26th ) when we have guests. I read in your receipe that in can be made several days in advance. Would you whip it a little before serving just to mix everything up again, strain it to remove any egg white "stuff" that may have clumped together ?

Merry Christmas!,
Paul

frederic said...

Over time, the fat and protein works to minimize the alcohol's heat and it gets smoother with time. Perhaps some sort of molecular rearrangement so that the ethanol hides in pockets of bigger and fattier molecules.

Regardless, it will be fine the day of and oy get better over time (plateaus after 2-3 weeks or so).