Wednesday, March 16, 2011

scarlet monk

1 oz Hibiscus-infused Gin
1 oz Lillet Blanc
1 oz Sweet Vermouth
1 oz Orange Juice

Shake with ice and double strain into a cocktail glass. Garnish with a candied orange wheel.

Last Wednesday, I met Andrea down at Stoddard's Fine Food & Ale. We had not been there since the Pernod Absinthe Bar Crawl last June, and this would be our first time sitting at the bar itself instead of at a table during an event. While last time we did not have a chance to see the menu, I was quite impressed at the number of classics -- around 18, each with the year they were first published -- along with a few of their originals and a couple of modern ones like the Red Hook. For my first drink, I asked bartender Nate to make me one of their originals, the Scarlet Monk. The drink was created by bar manager Eric Cross; although Nate could not recall which drink Eric had based the Scarlet Monk off of, it reminded me more of a Bronx than an Abbey Cocktail.
The Scarlet Monk was indeed a vibrant red hue like the name suggested. With the candied orange wheel garnish, orange juice, and tea elements, I was reminded of Chantal Tseng's Mortal Sunset. Beside the color, the hibiscus infusion donated a sweet, floral aroma. The sip was a light citrus flavor coupled with with grape-like notes, and this was chased by orange juice followed by sweet vermouth on the swallow and by herbal notes on the finish. I was quite impressed at how well the hibiscus worked with the orange juice, complemented the sweet vermouth, and tied the drink together.

2 comments:

Rowen said...

I should get out those hibiscus flowers right now. This looks swell.

frederic said...

Report back if you find a good concentration and infusion time pairing!