Friday, July 3, 2009

cesar moro

1 1/2 oz Pisco
1/2 oz Cointreau
1/2 oz Pineapple Juice
1/2 oz Dry Vermouth
1 dash Fee's Whiskey Barrel (or other Aromatic) Bitters

Shake with ice and strain into a cocktail glass. Float 2 drops of orange blossom water (orange twist would make for a fine substitution).

The theme for last night's Mixoloseum Thursday Drink Night was the orange liqueur Cointreau. Since Kaiser Penguin had already gotten me excited about this one between his email reminder for the event and his asking my opinion on his drink, the Royal Fool, I decided to scheme up a recipe to offer up to the chat room. When I spotted the pisco on my shelf, a recipe began to form that was a part Pisco Punch and a part Algonquin or perhaps the recently mixed Floor Polish Cocktail. Given the South American origin of the base spirit, the cocktail was dubbed the César Moro after the Peruvian surrealist and poet who collaborated with Andre Breton during the 1920's and 30's. In this drink, the orange blossom water on the nose prepared the taste buds for the wave of Cointreau to follow. The sweetness from the Cointreau and pineapple juice were matched by the spiciness from the pisco, vermouth, and bitters. My one regret is that my bitters shelf lacks Amargo Chuncho Bitters which would have added the perfect accent to this drink.

1 comment:

DJ HawaiianShirt said...

Just thought I'd say that I had an open can of pineapple juice and thought I'd try this, and it's great, though I might put an additional dash of Angostura bitters in it. :)